lundi 29 mai 2017

Day 1---Jour 1


Day 1     Sunday, 28/05/2017     Salamanca  -  Rodillo (farm)
17 km on the flat      4 hr walking + 30 min

After a relatively comfortable journey from Rennes (at 8 pm) to Salamanca - two seats to myself and no change of bus - I arrived at midday. Short walk to my pension right in the middle of Salamanca, very close to the Plaza Mayor. Quick wash, quick siesta, a bite to eat from what was left from the journey and off I went on my first stage. Oh, I forgot - a short panic because I could not set up the superb, light and well conceived new Leki walking sticks; I had used them once before with Andrea who had bought the same - advantage: they fold down to a much smaller size than the old ones, so they fit easily into any rucksack, even quite a small one. I remembered they were very easy to set up, but had forgotten how! Panic call to Andrea who I discovered was in Germany; and then I found the explanation on the internet. Uff! And it IS very easy,  but you need to know!

Walking out of a biggish town always means long stretches through built up areas, worse still commercial or even industrial ones. Here it was housing, but along roads - fortunately there was little traffic. Twice I got lost - but only once did I have to go back. Once I had continued on the road when there was a path running parallel. In parts the way is marked very well, elsewhere less. But then this was my first day!

The weather was ideal for walking, especially to get back into it - sky overcast with a misty sun trying to put in an appearance, but not really succeeding. Add a pleasant fresh breeze and you have your perfect walking conditions.

This part of the camino is what I think you call a cattle track. And I saw a man kneeling on a stretch of grass, almost lying on his belly. With two sticks he labouriously stood up with a smiling "hola!" - he was picking camomile flowers - Heliodoro, 78, due to have hip replacements on both sides (see photo).

But now things have become more complicated. I have walked 17 km so far and people on the farm which I have reached tell me that the road I had looked up on the internet to go to a motorway service station where I can easily be picked up by a taxi does not exist. Go forward or back the way I have come. That was at 7 pm. So I called the Pension to send the taxi to this farm instead of the service station and I am waiting......

Well, in the end my hosts from the Pension picked me up because no taxi was available. They are Deborah and Eduardo, both from Cuba. Going back in a car I realised how rough the track was, and they thought, no taxi would take me back there to pick up my walk where I had left it.

So I worked out my next stage: the taxi is to take me to where I had expected to be picked up on the motorway. From there I will try and make my way back to the camino on a road/track which I see on Google maps, but not on the map which comes with the camino. It probably does come with the GPS tracks indicated on the University of Salamanca (usal) website; but a friend, Manuel, sent me a version by e-mail because I could not handle the GPS tracks.

Anyway, if I cannot get back to the camino, I will go back to the N-620 which will take me to Robliza de Cojos - boring, but safe. And by then I should have made the same distance as I would have done on the camino. Wait and see......

At last back in Salamanca I had a delicious salad with two glasses of a local wine in a bar "Doze" on Plaza Mayor, recommended by my hosts. Very reasonable prices for anywhere, even more so on Plaza Mayor. The host here was Ivan, another Cuban. And that is where I am having breakfast now!


Heliodoro

Eduardo, Deborah and Ina


Après un  voyage assez confortable de Rennes (à 20h) à Salamanque - deux sièges pour moi et pas de changement de bus - je suis arrivée à midi. Petite marche vers ma pension en plein centre de Salamanque tout près de la Plaza Mayor. Un petit coup de lavage, une sieste rapide, un grignotage avec les restes de mon repas de voyage et me voilà partie.. Oh, j'oublie de vous parler d'un petit moment de panique car je ne trouvais plus comment déplier les superbes bâtons de marche "Leki" . Je ne les avais utilisés qu'une seule fois avant qu'Andrea achète les mêmes. Ils ont l'avantage de se replier beaucoup et de pouvoir se loger dans un petit sac à dos Je me souvenais que l'utilisation était facile mais...je ne savais plus comment faire ! Appel paniqué à Andréa, je venais de découvrir qu'elle était en Allemagne et ai ensuite trouvé la solution par internet. C'est très simple, mais il faut trouver !!

Sortir en marchant d'une grande ville implique de traverser de longues zones bâties ou pire de centres commerciaux ou même de zones industrielles. Ici il s’agissait d'habitations mais heureusement la route était peu fréquentée. Je me suis perdue deux fois et ai du rebrousser chemin une seule fois. Une fois j'ai suivi la route alors qu'il y avait un sentier en parallèle. Parfois le chemin était bien balisé d'autres fois  moins. Mais c'était mon premier jour !!

La météo est idéale pour marcher, en particulier pour une reprise; ciel couvert, soleil voilé essayant de se montrer mais sans succès. Ajoutez une brise agréable et vous avez des conditions idéales.

Cette partie du chemin s'apparente à une piste pour bétail. J'ai vu un homme agenouillé sur une zone herbeuse, quasiment sur le ventre. Avec deux béquilles il s'est relevé laborieusement en me saluant. Il cueillait des fleurs de camomille. Il se nomme Heliodoro, est âgé de 78 ans et venait de recevoir deux prothèses de hanche.

Mais maintenant cela devient compliqué. J'avais parcouru 17 km et les gens de la ferme où je suis arrivée me disent que le chemin que j'avais repéré sur Google n’existait pas. Il aurait du me conduire sur un aire de repos d'où j'aurai pu téléphoner à un taxi pour retourner à Salamanque. Il était 19h. J'ai téléphoné à la pension pour me faire venir un taxi à cette ferme au lieu de la station service et j'attends....

Mais comme il n'y avait pas de taxi de disponible, mes hôtes de la pension sont venus me chercher. C'est Deborah et Eduardo, tous deux cubains. En rentrant en voiture avec eux je me suis rendue compte de l'état de la piste et ils pensaient qu'aucun taxi ne voudrait me déposer à la ferme le lendemain.

J'ai préparé mon étape du lendemain, le taxi me déposerai sur l'aire de repos initialement prévue. De là je tenterai de rejoindre le chemin sur une "piste-route" découverte sur Google Maps mais pas sur la carte officielle du chemin. Elle doit correspondre à une piste GPS du site web, mais un ami, Manuel, m'a envoyé une version web que je ne peux utiliser...

Peu importe, si je ne peux rejoindre le chemin je reviendrai sur la N620 qui me conduira à Robliza de Cojos. C'est ennuyeux mais plus sage. Ce faisant j'aurai parcouru la même distance.

De retour à Salamanque j'ai dégusté une salade accompagnée de deux verres de vin local dans un bar "Doze" dans la Plaza Mayor recommandé par mes hôtes. Tarif très raisonnable pour tout. Le propriétaire se nommait Ivan, un autre cubain. Et c'est de là que j'écris en prenant mon petit déjeuner.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire